Tuesday, February 25, 2014

HERE WOULD BE MY CONTRIBUTION TO  MARDI GRAS  
        Adults only may view and bring beads!!!!



PURPLE, GREEN, AND GOLD ARE THE OFFICIAL COLORS OF MARDI GRAS.  The first Mardi Gras was celebrated in 1703 in Ft. Louis de la Mobile.  First Mardi Gras "Carnival" appeared in 1781 and was celebrated by private social clubs by having society balls.  These private, restricted membership, societies became the model for the clubs of today, like Rex, Bacchus, and the Twelfth Night Revelers.  The Twelfth Night Revelers started "throws" of trinkets, toys, doubloons, and such in 1870.  The floats are privately funded by these clubs thereby becoming "The Greatest Free Show On Earth".

This is my vintage 1940's Mardi Gras Headress.  I also have the Wizard of Oz, King and Queen of the Mardi Gras costumes from the 1960's.  They are big and awesome.  They are stored or I would put a couple of pics on for show.

HOPE YOU HAD FUN WITH THIS.  I KNOW I DID!!! 


No comments: