Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Angela Burks Soldering 101














OMG again! The Soldering 101 Workshop on Saturday was awesome. NEXT SOLDERING CLASS - SAT. AUG. 29, 12-4. Angela is such a good instructor. First of all, she had a very complete and instructional booklet for us to study and take home for future soldering. We learned safety of the iron and different types of lead. It was all covered! She is very thorough. After our booklet instructional class, we set out to pick our images and subject matter. That was really fun. Our glass for the images was 1-1/2" by 1-1/2" and also 3" by 1". I thought they would be smaller. We wrapped our glass encased images and set out to solder. I was kind of afraid of the heat (don't laugh), but that was soon put to rest. I thought the jump rings would be hard, but I was wrong. I had a blast and did quite well as did the other students. I am featuring some of the pictures on this post. Not bad for ladies who had never held a soldering iron before. Unfortunately, some of the ladies got out before I got pictures. Take a look! Get this...I did so well with the images under glass, I decided to try soldering on broken china and I did sorta good. Practice makes perfect! I will probably treat my pieces with a chemical that makes them look antique. Another class is coming up Sat. Aug. 29. 12-4. Safety glasses are a must. Bring your own images if you want the jewelry personalized. Make copies of any photographs. Originals don't work that good. For more info on the class, see under Workshops.